Friday, February 13, 2009

A Crazy Thursday

Thursday is the one day of the week I look forward to because of the SPQC. The tedium of the remaining days of college is mitigated in the one hour i spend doing one of my favorite activities : quizzing. But this one Thursday will stick out considering the events that were about to unfold throughout the course of the day.

It began like every other day in my life. I woke up cursing at 7 am and after 15 minutes of procrastination managed to drag my sleepy ass out of bed.

Considering that the assignment due for the day had not been written, it was an easy decision to stay out of trouble by conveniently bypassing the lecture for the canteen. While the rest of the class opted to play cricket, me and Rohit decided to try the old Bhavan's trick of " How many are you? Can we Play" on a group of f.e's playing football. To our dismay, the usual esteem given to B.E's was sorely lacking amongst this particular group and we were downright snubbed . To avoid humiliation in front of our classmates we took a roundabout way to the canteen to drown our sorrows in a pitcher of FLW. Turns out it was not going to be our only reject that day.

Soon it was time for the weekly edition of SPQC. Rohit and me had been regular quizzing partners for the last 3 years but we had nothing to show for it. Finishing 2nd or 3rd regularly had convinced us that this was to be like every other quiz. However Rohit was on fire this time around and our team managed to own the quiz. One of the many reasons to remember this day. Another being my black Pepe Jeans shirt had got the approval of the most hard-to-please fashion critics. ( If only good clothes were not so frigging expensive!)

Checking my inbox had been a pain for the last 3 months. Not only was there no communication from universities but it seemed all the spammers in the world had selected this particular time frame to bombard me with their useless mails. This time however my alacrity at winning the quiz was going to shatter in a matter of seconds.University of Minnesota, after months of consideration had found me unsuitable for their master's program. To quote them " We hope our decision will not affect your determination to pursue further education". ( Why should it? After all they have only found me lacking necessary qualifications to pursue further education in their university! How this could be dampen my enthusiasm to pursue the same is still beyond me!!).

Turns out even Rohit had been given the same royal treatment, in short fuckkk offff with a capital FUCK. ( The irony is that the origin of the word FUCK and the universally accepted middle finger gesture had been asked in the quiz and we had answered it correctly too in fact!)
With a heavy heart I retired to bed that night. Seems life can be very unpredictable, fleeting moments of happiness amongst a sea of troubles, much like sunshine peeping through overcast skies. Resolving to not let this affect my state of mind, I lay tossing and turning in bed before weariness took its toll and I fell into dreamless sleep.

( If you are reading this Parinita, no amount of coercion or physical harm is bound to make me submit this blog as " Extracts from a geek's diary " (i am not a geek inspite of what you think) for the essay writing competition on Tuesday!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment